WWE sent us the following press release ahead of Sunday’s WWE Survivor Series pay-per-view, which will be the 25th anniversary of the Undertaker’s televised WWE debut:
25 PHENOMENAL FACTS AS WWE® CELEBRATES UNDERTAKER®’S 25 YEARS IN THE RING
STAMFORD, Conn., November XX, 2015 – WWE is celebrating the 25th anniversary of WWE icon, Undertaker with an epic tag team match pitting Undertaker and Kane® against the Wyatt Family at WWE Survivor Series in Atlanta, Ga., this Sunday. Exactly 25 years to the day of Undertaker’s debut, Survivor Series will air live around the world on WWE Network.
In celebration of his 25 years, Undertaker made a special appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon. Click here to see Undertaker’s interpretation of Thanksgiving.
Throughout his storied career, “The Phenom” has been part of some of the most memorable matches in WWE history, cementing his place as one of the greatest Superstars of all time.
Here are 25 Phenomenal Facts about the seven-time WWE World Heavyweight Champion:
* While he officially debuted as “The Undertaker” during the 1990 Survivor Series, hecompeted as “Kane ‘The Undertaker'” in pre-taped matches prior to his live debut.
* One of Undertaker’s original finishing moves was the Elbow Drop, where he would walk across the top rope and drop a brutal elbow on his opponent.
* He appeared on the debut episode of Monday Night Raw and is the only Superstar from that episode who is still on the WWE roster.
* When Undertaker debuted, the World Wide Web was one year away from being introduced to the public.
* Despite leaving the WrestleMania ring as a champion several times, he never entered a WrestleMania match as a champion.
* During his debut, he defeated not one, but two WWE Hall of Famers, Koko B. Ware and Dusty Rhodes, in a matter of minutes.
* Since his debut, four United States Presidents have held office and 34 new countries have been founded.
* Johnny Carson was still host of The Tonight Show when Undertaker debuted.
* Seven Winter Olympics and six Summer Olympics have taken place since Undertaker debuted.
* Throughout his career, Undertaker had 15 Championship reigns.
* 160 men have tried, and failed, to defeat “The Phenom” during pay-per-view matches.
* His longest one-on-one match was with WWE Superstar Triple H® and lasted 30 minutes and 52 seconds.
* His shortest-ever televised match was against WWE Hall of Famer Iron Sheik™ and lasted just 18 seconds.
* He holds the record for competing on more WWE television shows than any other WWE Superstar.
* Undertaker is WWE’s first-ever World Champion with no last name.
* He competed in the first-ever Hell in a Cell match in 1997 against Shawn Michaels.
* Undertaker’s urn has been stolen by opponents seven times.
* Undertaker is a five-time Pro Wrestling Illustrated Award-winner.
* During the span of his career at WWE, Undertaker has competed against 41 Hall-of-Famers.
* He has appeared in 17 Survivor Series matches, and won 12 of them.
* Undertaker has been featured on 61 pay-per-view posters.
* He has been on 16 video game covers, more than any other WWE Superstar with the exception of Triple H®.
* Despite his record number of WrestleMania wins, he went a decade without winning a championship at WrestleMania – the longest amount of time for any Superstar in WrestleMania history.
* He went head-to-head with Kane 19 times during pay-per-view events.
* It has been over 9,100 days since Undertaker debuted 25 years ago.